Thursday, February 01, 2007

Relative to what?


What is truth is the question that Pilate asks... What is truth is also the question culture asks today, and what is it? Is it a physically reproducible expression of intelligence or process? Is it a meaningful analysis of an observation? Or is it an observable universal that is far beyond us? Is there an overarching truth that means more than our opinions, observations or pontificating? If there is a truth that is larger than us then is there a story bigger than us? Is there a meta-narrative that spans the story of man and the universe that is absolutely true above and beyond our observation and scarier beyond our comprehension? Is truth merely a sign that there is something bigger than us. A force or being so much larger and too big to control. Is this truth along with this being absolute- final in authority and infinite in knowledge? Then if it exists we must answer to it and measure our knowledge and our souls against it.

Then comes the big question, what if I fall short? What if I answer to this ultimate truth and my answer is I am just so small, too small and I must yield to this truth? If I yield will this truth move me into a greater depth or place of understanding? Will it make me more compassionate? Will it make me a better spouse or father? I believe that the answer to our soul cravings is this very question. Is God bigger than me and all of my shortfall, questions and pain? Well if I am that small and insignificant my answer doesn't matter. God's answer has been a resounding yes. I trust that yes to be bigger than me and my need, as big as the universe.

0 comments: