Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ugh!


Working with Christians can be hazardous to your mental health! I surf the web and find more gossip and back biting in the name of right doctrine, and honestly, it get's old. Right doctrine doesn't get old, people ranting about any person agenda or opinion, and then spraying a little "Jesus Theory",  or famous (out of context) theologian quote, over it and all of a sudden, their (usually under-educated or Oprah based) opinion is made right. Then it gets worse, the distancing that takes place if you disagree, you know, the "I'm too busy to call", the stealth facebook de-friending, and the avoiding of your usual meeting times in public places. You know, the typical small town shaming process that let's you know you are no longer accepted, and that usually culminates in no one waving as you drive by anymore. Of course this all comes to an end when you do something they approve of and then suddenly, you are now a Facebook friend and they wave.

So what keeps my sanity? Thursday at the Hitchin' Post saloon...You see there was a fund raiser there for a new family at church, about to lose their house. The "Ole Hitchin' Post, was packed and they had sold out of food an hour and a half into the night, and it turns out, there was just enough food. So some of these folks are really new to following Jesus and I showed up to show my support. What a great time. I show up in the usual pastor regalia - ball cap and jeans and am greeted by the folks throwing the shin dig... instantly I am asked if I was offended by their consuming beer, I said no, "It's the Budweiser products I find offensive, but it's not beer so really no problem". Now, they were in no way over the line as far as consumption goes but they were excited to introduce me to everyone around them (who, by their own admission, where a bit toasted) and tell about what they had learned about Jesus over the last two months. To be honest, they remembered more of the messages than I did, and I gave them! The excitement over what God had done, the joy as they spoke about the healings they had seen was incredibly encouraging. These beautifully honesty and simply "in love with Jesus" people are the sanity of my day.

Now to disciple the and not ruin their simple, honest love for Jesus.

Shalom

1 comments:

Sean said...

That's awesome! I totally agree: Budweiser isn't beer.

Way to keep Jesus...Jesus in Oakytown.